I think we can all be guilty of being a bit too over eager with the hair straighteners or hair dye. Even basic over-washing can strip away the natural shine and luster of your locks, leaving your hair dull and tired.
Here are six easy, budget-friendly ways to give your hair some extra oomph and
1. Protein & diet: Hair is made from a compressed form of protein called keratin, so it makes sense that the better you eat and the more protein you have in your diet, the healthier your hair will be and the more it will grow. While there’s much controversy over whether there’s any benefit to be had from supplements , a few tweaks to how you look after yourself inside can certainly reflect with your hair (and of course your skin and nails too).
2. Step away from the heat: Blow drying and heated styling tools (straighteners and tongs) are great time saving methods to achieve the looks your after but can ultimately damage your hair significantly if used too often and without the correct protective products. Hair breakages and split ends are common when using heat so try to limit your use of it to a few times a week at the max. Go for the natural waves look by letting your hair air-dry and if you have to use heat, use appropriate heat protection sprays.
3. Oils: I’m sure you’ve all heard about the seemingly magical and numerous benefits of coconut oil and indeed it can also be used on your hair as a mask and natural styling product. For more info on the benefits coconut oil can have on your hair and also your health check out nutritionsecrets.com for everything you need to know.
4. Washing: We live in an age of germaphobes and over-washers and while we relish in that squeaky clean feeling as we step out of the shower, we don’t realise we’re actually washing and stripping away the natural oils that keep our hair healthy. Now obviously I’m not saying stop showering, but limit the amount of times you shampoo your hair to every other day at least – shower caps exist for a reason!
5. No ‘poo: Possibly an extreme method but it’s recently growing in popularity – ditching the shampoo. Yeah, completely. Banishing the shampoo and all the chemicals packed inside and using natural, organic products such as apple cider vinegar, eggs and water to aid your hair’s self-cleaning oils to keep your hair clean and shiny.
6. Colourants: We all enjoy the added shine and swish a fresh dye job can give us, but at what cost? Bleaching and dying can severely damage your hair, stripping away all the healthy oils and damaging your hair’s growth and quality. Look into using henna instead to avoid those nasty chemicals.
So there you have it, cheap and easy tricks to keep your hair looking beautiful. What are your tips for healthy locks?